Contemplata aliis Tradere

A meagre contribution to the mission and work of the Order of Preachers: my reflections, thoughts, ideas and the occasional rant on matters mainly theological, philosophical and ecclesiastical, drawn primarily from my reading and experience of life and the world. Striving to be always Catholic, firmly Christian and essentially Dominican, flavoured with dashes of Von Balthasar.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom

A son of the English Province of the Order of Friars Preachers (Dominicans); born in Malaysia but have lived in the USA, Singapore, the UK & the Philippines for varying durations. A pilgrim and way-farer, a searcher for Truth on the journey of Life... "Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine, There’s always laughter and good red wine. At least I’ve always found it so. Benedicamus Domino!" - Hilaire Belloc

Friday, March 24, 2006

Playlist meme

This meme has been making the rounds. I first saw it at The Curt Jester, and again at You Duped Me Lord. It seemed quite fun, even though I have very few 'songs' per se on my MP3 player so I decided to give it a spin... I have to admit, I skipped all orchestral/instrumental tracks... after all, 'Scherzo in F sharp minor' did not seem like any kind of answer! The answers are below with a commentary on each one. Some of them are strangely apt!

Instructions: Go to your music player of choice and put it on shuffle. Say the following questions aloud, and press play. Use the song title as the answer to the question. NO CHEATING.

How does the world see you?
Tu es Petrus (Communion antiphon) - Gregorian chant

Hmm... deluded then? Or just as thick as a rock?!

Will I have a happy life?
I was glad (Ps 122) - C. Hubert H. Parry

This is beginning to make sense... especially since this is one of my favourite anthems to sing!

What do my friends really think of me?
Beatus es et bene tibi (cf Ps 128:2) - Guerrero

The text of this motet is "You will be happy, and it shall go well with you". Lovely!

What do people secretly think of me?
Away in a Manger - Christmas carol

Hmmm... A bit of a baby then... or firmly Incarnated?!

How can I make myself happy?
Sanctus from 'Requiem' - Berlioz

Eternal beatitude with the angels? Sounds like a good recipe for happiness!

What should I do with my life?
O Filii et Filiae (Easter prose) - Parisian chant

"Ye Sons and daughters of the Lord/ the King of glory, King adored/ this day Himself from death restored" is the beginning of this twelve-verse hymn. Makes great sense to me to give my life in praise of the Risen Lord!

Will I ever have children?
King Jesus, I believe - Martyn Layzell (Soul Survivor)

Therefore, I give my life and self to you in celibacy? Well said!

What is some good advice for me?
Kyrie Deus Creator omnium - Sarum chant

Sounds like good advice to me... And so, as the psalmist says: "He made us, we belong to Him."

How will I be remembered?
Benedictus qui venit from 'Missa Brevis' - Kenneth Leighton

Further self-delusion: from Peter to the Messiah!! Oh dear! Ah... but then again, "Blessed are the feet of him who bring good news...", as befits a friar preacher, perhaps.

What is my signature dancing song?
Tu devicto mortis from 'Te Deum' - Texeira

As it turns out this was a particularly 'dancey' tune and the words from the 'Te Deum' says: "You overcame the sharpness of death" which is certainly a cause for rejoicing and yes, even the odd jig!

What do I think my current theme song is?
I'm trading my sorrows - Delirious

Great song, great words, great tune. I like it!

What does everyone else think my current theme song is?
He was cut off out of the land of the living (Recititive) from 'Messiah' - Handel

Ha ha ha. Perhaps I should call my friends or email them more frequently?!

What song will play at my funeral?
In exitu Israel (Ps 114) - Guerrero

Marvellous. The psalm associated with Pilgrimage, Exodus and hence Easter. Very apt for the crossing over from death into eternal life!

What type of men/women do you like?
Welcome, Maids of Honour from 'Spring Symphony' - Britten

Well... I couldn't have put it better myself.

What is my day going to be like?
In nomine Patris... from 'Mass' - Bernstein

And how else ought one to begin, maintain, and complete one's day? Again, I agree.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home