Contemplata aliis Tradere

A meagre contribution to the mission and work of the Order of Preachers: my reflections, thoughts, ideas and the occasional rant on matters mainly theological, philosophical and ecclesiastical, drawn primarily from my reading and experience of life and the world. Striving to be always Catholic, firmly Christian and essentially Dominican, flavoured with dashes of Von Balthasar.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom

A son of the English Province of the Order of Friars Preachers (Dominicans); born in Malaysia but have lived in the USA, Singapore, the UK & the Philippines for varying durations. A pilgrim and way-farer, a searcher for Truth on the journey of Life... "Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine, There’s always laughter and good red wine. At least I’ve always found it so. Benedicamus Domino!" - Hilaire Belloc

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Back in Singapore!

It took me over 25 hours from door to door, from Skipton to Singapore but I am here! In the past day so much has happened and I was powerless to find out more! I only had snatched bits of news as I was on a train, waiting in airports and on planes! The euphoria of London turned to anguish, chaos and tragedy... I was very much mindful of the pain and suffering of the Londoners and people like my fellow Dominican Volunteer in Manila who has family in and around London. I continue to commend them, victims and loved ones all to Our Lady.

My flight to Singapore was routed via Paris, adding poignancy to the Olympic 2012 bid... Yes, I had to take a different flight from what I was booked on, for complicated reasons but in recompense, I was upgraded to Business Class which was a lovely first for me!

Now that I am back in Singapore I just want to share two paragraphs from yesterday's Guardian, an article by Paul Kelso in Singapore that epitomise this super-efficient nation:

"London's victory was announced only after a presentation ceremony that scaled new heights of kitsch. Two Singaporean sopranos and a tenor dressed like a maître d' subjected the Olympic anthem, a tune whose primary virtue is to be heard only once every four years, to a fearful mauling."
Hilarious but true!

2 Comments:

Blogger Julie D. said...

Glad to hear you made it ok. I knew you were travelling and was hoping you weren't caught up in the tragedy.

7:01 pm  
Blogger Sprezzatura said...

welcome back! 94244261 =)

7:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home