Contemplata aliis Tradere

A meagre contribution to the mission and work of the Order of Preachers: my reflections, thoughts, ideas and the occasional rant on matters mainly theological, philosophical and ecclesiastical, drawn primarily from my reading and experience of life and the world. Striving to be always Catholic, firmly Christian and essentially Dominican, flavoured with dashes of Von Balthasar.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom

A son of the English Province of the Order of Friars Preachers (Dominicans); born in Malaysia but have lived in the USA, Singapore, the UK & the Philippines for varying durations. A pilgrim and way-farer, a searcher for Truth on the journey of Life... "Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine, There’s always laughter and good red wine. At least I’ve always found it so. Benedicamus Domino!" - Hilaire Belloc

Sunday, April 17, 2005

Josef Cardinal Ratzinger and others...


A friend of mine who was also in Ushaw College with me recently sent me a rare email in which he said: "I am sure you have started your novena for Cardinal Ratzinger's election as Pope."

In fact, I did no such thing and I can publicly state that I am not convinced a Ratzinger papacy would be all that good for the Church. I believe most first-hand accounts that Cardinal Ratzinger is a wonderful and pastoral priest. I have caught a glimpse of this person myself in his many books and interviews. I am an admirer of his theology (in general) and I think we would find in him a thinker on a par with John Paul the Great. Interestingly, my (non-Catholic and Brethren-churched) uncle said to me two nights ago that he hoped Ratzinger would be the next pope. He felt someone who had a clear (and evengelical) stance on moral issues, like John Paul II would be a God-send.

However, I sincerely prefer not to hedge my bets anywhere. Maybe I am afraid of losing! My Dominican friends in Manila would probably be praying for Cardinal Schoenborn, as I am indeed inclined to but I think he may be a little too young... Maybe the next Conclave!

I have heard and seen Arinze in Rome and I was a bit taken aback by his forthright answers to some rather thorny issues thrown at him by American youth. Nonetheless, I think his approach is refreshingly African and his experience of inter-religious dialogue seems to me a great urgency these days.

On the others, I have few opinions. Suffice to say that the Archbishops of Glasgow and Westminster don't stand a chance in my eyes and I dare say I am far from a lone opinion in this!

There are other commentators far more experienced and expert than me. I only pretend to know. One such expert whom I respect is John Allen and I refer you to his insightful article. For those who are curious about Ratzinger, refer to his fansite for a comprehensive listing.

As I said earlier, I only pray that God's will be done. Whoever the man is, God will have given him to the Church and therefore, I trust there will be a good reason for his election. As St Faustina, so beloved by Pope John Paul II would have us say to Christ, the Divine Mercy: "Jesus, I trust in you!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home