Contemplata aliis Tradere

A meagre contribution to the mission and work of the Order of Preachers: my reflections, thoughts, ideas and the occasional rant on matters mainly theological, philosophical and ecclesiastical, drawn primarily from my reading and experience of life and the world. Striving to be always Catholic, firmly Christian and essentially Dominican, flavoured with dashes of Von Balthasar.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom

A son of the English Province of the Order of Friars Preachers (Dominicans); born in Malaysia but have lived in the USA, Singapore, the UK & the Philippines for varying durations. A pilgrim and way-farer, a searcher for Truth on the journey of Life... "Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine, There’s always laughter and good red wine. At least I’ve always found it so. Benedicamus Domino!" - Hilaire Belloc

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

"...We're gonna find out who's naughty and nice..."


Two friends from the Philippines came to visit Singapore today and I was happy to be able to join my good friend and fellow Dominican Volunteer, Desiree in welcoming them to our part of the world. In that beautiful and evocative Filipino word, I wished them a great big "MABUHAY!"

We went on a pleasant bumboat ride on the Singapore river and watched the sunset. It was lovely to see the city from this perspective and a first for me.

However, what caught my eye was a this space-ship like monstrosity which was emerging from behind the lovely neo-Classical Supreme Court building of Singapore. This circular structure which is still being constructed stuck out like a sore thumb and blighted the skyscape. It also overshadowed the beautiful Empress Place building and the elegant old Parliament building. No one seemed to know what it was. If anyone can tell me, I would be grateful.

Left to my own imagination, I just surmised it was an observation tower for LKY to survey his realm. I dub it the "Minister Mentor's Monitor"... I fancy that it is 360 degree observation deck which can rise up and give views of the entire island... and perhaps have lasers installed to strike down recalcitrants, opposition and suchlike heretics!! Or perhaps just powerful telescopes to photograph and fine bubble-gum-chewers...

A flight of fancy? Perhaps but nothing's impossible on this sophisticated island-city-state!!

What do you think it is??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home