Contemplata aliis Tradere

A meagre contribution to the mission and work of the Order of Preachers: my reflections, thoughts, ideas and the occasional rant on matters mainly theological, philosophical and ecclesiastical, drawn primarily from my reading and experience of life and the world. Striving to be always Catholic, firmly Christian and essentially Dominican, flavoured with dashes of Von Balthasar.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom

A son of the English Province of the Order of Friars Preachers (Dominicans); born in Malaysia but have lived in the USA, Singapore, the UK & the Philippines for varying durations. A pilgrim and way-farer, a searcher for Truth on the journey of Life... "Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine, There’s always laughter and good red wine. At least I’ve always found it so. Benedicamus Domino!" - Hilaire Belloc

Monday, May 23, 2005

Eric Gill


I decided to tinker around with the format and style of the blog today. I've been looking around the blog world and have been dissatisfied with the basic style of this blog for weeks now: the font size was just a little too big for my liking...

Anyway, for those of you who have the font called "Gill Sans MT" pre-loaded on your computer you will enjoy (?!) the very font I have chosen. Friends of mine will know that I only ever type letters or essays in this font. If you do not have it pre-loaded, it will display as box-standard "Times New Roman". If you are keen, you can download the font, "Gill Sans" and install it to your computer.

Why do I use "Gill Sans"? Well, I think it is a clear and beautiful, uncluttered font. It is famous for being used for clear lettering and signs, as may be seen on the London Underground. But more importantly, it is a typeface designed by the famed typographer, sculptor and designer Eric Gill who was also a Dominican Tertiary, working at Ditchling. His most highly acclaimed work can be seen in Westminster Cathedral (the Via Crucis) although it has to be admitted he has been a rather controversial character, of late. Nonetheless, his personal foibles and delectations should not detract from his genius and artistry and I am happy to use the font of a Dominican on this blog, and indeed, all my work.

This link should take you to more of his work on the Web, if you should be interested. Some of it is rather thought-provoking if not altogether shocking but much of it is beautiful and spiritual...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home