Contemplata aliis Tradere

A meagre contribution to the mission and work of the Order of Preachers: my reflections, thoughts, ideas and the occasional rant on matters mainly theological, philosophical and ecclesiastical, drawn primarily from my reading and experience of life and the world. Striving to be always Catholic, firmly Christian and essentially Dominican, flavoured with dashes of Von Balthasar.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom

A son of the English Province of the Order of Friars Preachers (Dominicans); born in Malaysia but have lived in the USA, Singapore, the UK & the Philippines for varying durations. A pilgrim and way-farer, a searcher for Truth on the journey of Life... "Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine, There’s always laughter and good red wine. At least I’ve always found it so. Benedicamus Domino!" - Hilaire Belloc

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Notes from the Past...

Daniel Jeffries has tagged me to do this rather odd meme and since he's a friend and part of the Dominican family, I shall acquiesce...

The Instructions are as follows:

1. Go into your Archives.

2. Find your 23rd Post.

3. Find the fifth sentence (or closest to it).

4. Post the text of the sentence in your blog along with these instructions.

5. Tag five other people to do the same thing.


My 23rd Post was rather pointless. It was called "...We're gonna find out who's naughty and nice..." and was posted on Tuesday 19 April 2005. It was an attempt at mocking the government of a certain infamously repressive Island-City-State. I have since turned away from such aimless posts!

The fifth sentence of that post is: "This circular structure which is still being constructed stuck out like a sore thumb and blighted the skyscape."

It refers to the photo above.

I refrain from tagging anyone to do this meme but leave it to the discretion of readers to conduct a similar search into their past posts if they so desire...

2 Comments:

Blogger Patti Doughty said...

Brother Lawrence, thank you for your prayers for the family of my friend and your kind comments on my Blog.

I am the guilty party with regard to the game of Blogger Tag. I tagged Daniel who, in turn, tagged you. I found it quite fun. Hope it wasn't too much of an inconveniece for you.

I was pleased to hear of your Grandmother's healing. I find it incredible when our God so lavishly bestows the touch of His healing hand. By the way, your grandmother is lovely.

I'm a spirit-filled Protestant, the daughter of a retired Methodist Minister, and I often ask Daniel to explain things on his Posts I don't understand. I hope you're willing to do the same. Who is Pope John Paul the Great? I've not heard this reference before and am uncertain if I or II has been blessed with the title "the Great".

2:34 am  
Blogger Stella Orientis said...

Hello Patti, I'm neither Br Lawrence nor a religious/cleric, but I hope to be able to answer your question. In the Catholic Church there are many titles, such as Venerable, Blessed and Saint. These are conferred as a recognition of real and uncommon holiness after much investigation and deliberation. However, the "title" Great (Magnus in Latin) is not one of the above. Rather, it is a popular attribution carried on in tradition. Such a title, as applied to Leo and Basil, are more informa, and usually emerge in a widespread recognition of holiness by the general populace. When people refer to John Paul II as "John Paul the Great", they are not referring to a formal declaration but rather their own personal (and, in my opinion, the universal) respect and admiration for the man. The first reference to "John Paul the Great" that I heard was made by George Cardinal Pell, Archbishop of Sydney, Australia.

At least...this is my understanding. I am certain that if I have made some mistake or friend Br Lawrence will correct me. =)

6:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home