Contemplata aliis Tradere

A meagre contribution to the mission and work of the Order of Preachers: my reflections, thoughts, ideas and the occasional rant on matters mainly theological, philosophical and ecclesiastical, drawn primarily from my reading and experience of life and the world. Striving to be always Catholic, firmly Christian and essentially Dominican, flavoured with dashes of Von Balthasar.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom

A son of the English Province of the Order of Friars Preachers (Dominicans); born in Malaysia but have lived in the USA, Singapore, the UK & the Philippines for varying durations. A pilgrim and way-farer, a searcher for Truth on the journey of Life... "Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine, There’s always laughter and good red wine. At least I’ve always found it so. Benedicamus Domino!" - Hilaire Belloc

Thursday, December 22, 2005

A Christmas Meme

I spotted this quick and fun Christmas meme over at Happy Catholic and thought I'd give it a go...

Hot Chocolate or apple cider? Hot chocolate... but preferably mulled wine!

Turkey or Ham? Turkey this Christmas at the Priory... although I'd go for duck or salmon if I had a say!!

Do you get a Fake or Real you cut it yourself Christmas tree? Real of course! At my mum's house, the tree has to be decorated with real candles too, in the German style!

Decorations on the outside of your house? No thanks, we're English!

Snowball fights or sledding? Snowball fights... although sledding ala Calvin & Hobbes looks fun too.

Do you enjoy going downtown shopping? Nope. And for the first time in years, I did none of that. One of the great things about a vow of poverty!

Favorite Christmas song? Well, I suppose this would not include motets and chant, so I'll go for 'The Christmas Song'! Ugh! How predictable!!

How do you feel about Christmas movies? I'm quite sentimental I guess, so I love these soppy, family, fell-good movies. The Polar Express was nice... although for a more Christian movie, I'd go for 'The Miracle Maker'. Fantastic!

When is it too early to start listening to Christmas music? Before Christmas Eve! During Advent, I listen to Advent carols and motets, although something like Tchaikovsky's 'Nutcracker' ballet is permissible... Christmas carols and music should only be enjoyed in Christmastide, which in some cases can continue until 2 February!

Stockings before or after presents? Well, I don't actually hang any up! But I do put out my shoe/boot on St Nicholas' eve.

Carollers, do you or do you not watch and listen to them? Being an ex-caroller myself, I would definitely listen and maybe even join in! Alas, this is one occasion when I break my 'no-carols-before-Christmas' rule!!

Go to someone else's house or they come to you? We're having one guest at the Priory this year, so they come to us.

Do you read the Christmas Story? If you mean the Gospels, then yes, of course!

What do you do after presents and dinner? Typically, use the present in some way, or clear up, watch TV and sleep!

What is your favorite holiday smell? Mulled wine again.

Ice skating or walking around the mall? I've fallen on ice a number of times (oh, mum, if you're reading this, I can just hear you laughing!!) so it'll have to be malling (as the Filipinos call it) but I'd like to just stay in front of a log fire at home and sip my mulled wine!

Do you open a present or presents on Christmas Eve, or wait until Christmas day? Depends on the local custom. When I was in Germany then on Christmas Eve, but otherwise on the Day.

Favorite Christmas memory? Walking an hour each way in the snow to Mass in Germany (on my own, mind you) when I was a teenager - gosh, I was such a committed Catholic kid then!! But seriously, just Christmas with my family, especially when I was a child. Oh... and Christmas in the Philippines - a unique experience! (Photos to right and above, in 2004)

Favorite part about winter? Crunchy grass (know what I mean?!) and crisp, cold winter mornings when the sun reflects a bluish-white off the snow-drifted or frosty ground.

Ever been kissed under mistletoe? No... and probably never will, Deo gratias!

Want to join in? Any takers out there who don't have enough Christmas preparations to undertake?!! Please?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home