Contemplata aliis Tradere

A meagre contribution to the mission and work of the Order of Preachers: my reflections, thoughts, ideas and the occasional rant on matters mainly theological, philosophical and ecclesiastical, drawn primarily from my reading and experience of life and the world. Striving to be always Catholic, firmly Christian and essentially Dominican, flavoured with dashes of Von Balthasar.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom

A son of the English Province of the Order of Friars Preachers (Dominicans); born in Malaysia but have lived in the USA, Singapore, the UK & the Philippines for varying durations. A pilgrim and way-farer, a searcher for Truth on the journey of Life... "Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine, There’s always laughter and good red wine. At least I’ve always found it so. Benedicamus Domino!" - Hilaire Belloc

Friday, February 03, 2006

By the intercession of St Blaise...

If you are a singer or public speaker, then you could do worse than to attend Mass today, the commemoration of St Blaise (depicted on left in a Missal engraving), and receive the traditional blessing of throats after Mass. As a chorister and singer in cathedral and university choirs, I used my singing voice almost daily but the winter months would inevitably strike me down with a sore throat and cold, thus rendering me quite unable to sing for weeks! I would try all manner of lozenges and medicinal concoctions to ward off the sore throat and regain my voice, but to no avail. That is, until I discovered the powerful intercession of St Blaise!

St Blaise, who was bishop of Sebaste and persecuted and executed by Licinius in 316, is one of the Fourteen Holy Helpers and famed for many miracles and wonders. According to tradition, on one occasion, a woman whose boy was dying because a fish bone had stuck in his throat, came to St Blaise and laid the boy at his feet, tearfully begging him to cure her child. St Blaise promptly laid his hands on the boy and prayed that this child, and anyone else who sought help from God in his name, should obtain the benefit of health. The boy was cured instantly and to this day, St Blaise remains a worthy help in cases of throat ailments.

For centuries now, the Church has attributed to this fourth-century Armenian bishop and martyr, protection from throat ailments. Two candles are blessed and then held saltire (often tied in this position with red ribbon) and placed on the throat of the devotee as the priest prays the prayer of the blessing of throats, that God will free from all afflictions of the throast and other ills those who place themselves under the protection and intercession of St Blaise. I have to say that ever since I began receiving this annual blessing I have been mercifully free from debilitating sore throats!

As I am Cantor next week, I'd best ask St Blaise for his intercession today...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home