Contemplata aliis Tradere

A meagre contribution to the mission and work of the Order of Preachers: my reflections, thoughts, ideas and the occasional rant on matters mainly theological, philosophical and ecclesiastical, drawn primarily from my reading and experience of life and the world. Striving to be always Catholic, firmly Christian and essentially Dominican, flavoured with dashes of Von Balthasar.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom

A son of the English Province of the Order of Friars Preachers (Dominicans); born in Malaysia but have lived in the USA, Singapore, the UK & the Philippines for varying durations. A pilgrim and way-farer, a searcher for Truth on the journey of Life... "Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine, There’s always laughter and good red wine. At least I’ve always found it so. Benedicamus Domino!" - Hilaire Belloc

Friday, August 05, 2005

"My Kids"!

As you may already know, when I was living in the Philippines as a Dominican Volunteer for one year, I taught religion to a class of 12 year-olds in the parish school. In the nine months I taught them, I grew to love them all individually and treat them as my own little brothers or sisters. I called them simply, "my kids"! One of the joys of coming back to the Philippines for this quick break of mine is to catch up with them and see how they are faring in their new respective High Schools.

Today, I was invited to go swimming with my godson and his family (above) in a lovely part of Metro Manila called Antipolo, which is on a hill commanding stunning views of the metropolis. This 'city' is also the site of the National Shrine of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage, a beautiful cathedral-church in honour of a miraculous dark wood image of Our Lady.

But before we set out on our 'pilgrimage' to Antipolo, we visited the school where my godson (who was in my religion class last year) and some of the other children from my former class now study. When these kids saw me, their reaction was wonderful to experience. They shouted out with surprise and ran to me with arms outstrectched. Another boy, who has trudged into school wearily looked up when I called to him and his face lit up with a smile and he ran to me. Those smiles and their excited questions really made my day!

And then, later on, when we were swimming, I asked my godson about his new school, his teachers and his lessons and I was very pleased indeed when he told me that his religion teachers (Augustinian Recollect sisters) had commented on how students from San Lorenzo Ruiz Parochial School were most capable among their peers (who come from different parish schools) in religion. She wondered why, and the kids attributed it to my teaching! I admit, this brought me a glow of pride but above all, I thanked the Lord for the way He used me.

When I started teaching those 33 children last year, I had no idea how much a part of my life they would become, but somehow, they are all special to me and I shall always remember them in my prayers and have a place for them in my heart. I reckon, that years from now, when they are older and in college, they will still be "my kids"...

1 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

That is the greatest joy of teaching. I was quite literally crying my eyes out on the last day of school my first year teaching. I taught ESL classes to kids ranging from 11-13. It is absolutely amazing how attached you get...and I still refer to them as "my kids". Your kids were lucky to have such a dedicated and loving teacher. It can make such a difference.

3:29 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home