Contemplata aliis Tradere

A meagre contribution to the mission and work of the Order of Preachers: my reflections, thoughts, ideas and the occasional rant on matters mainly theological, philosophical and ecclesiastical, drawn primarily from my reading and experience of life and the world. Striving to be always Catholic, firmly Christian and essentially Dominican, flavoured with dashes of Von Balthasar.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom

A son of the English Province of the Order of Friars Preachers (Dominicans); born in Malaysia but have lived in the USA, Singapore, the UK & the Philippines for varying durations. A pilgrim and way-farer, a searcher for Truth on the journey of Life... "Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine, There’s always laughter and good red wine. At least I’ve always found it so. Benedicamus Domino!" - Hilaire Belloc

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Sitivit in Te anima mea


The above taken from the Responsorial Psalm of today's Sunday Liturgy is a sort of motto in my life: "My soul is thirsting for You...". This thirsting for God brings to mind the immortal words of St Augustine of Hippo, whose feast falls today: "Our souls are restless Lord until they rest in You". It is this constant desire and longing for God, "like a dry, weary land without water", that keeps me moving forward on my pilgrim journey of Life, constantly seeking after Him who is the Way, the Truth and the Life. This same restlessness leads me to reform my life, to purify my heart and intentions and with His grace, grow in holiness.

A similar sentiment is expressed in my favourite poem, one that speaks so eloquently to me and it reminds me of the opening lines of today's First Reading from Jeremiah. It is 'Holy Sonnet XIV' by John Donne:

"Batter my heart, three-person'd God ; for you
As yet but knock ; breathe, shine, and seek to mend ;
That I may rise, and stand, o'erthrow me, and bend
Your force, to break, blow, burn, and make me new.
I, like an usurp'd town, to another due,
Labour to admit you, but O, to no end.
Reason, your viceroy in me, me should defend,
But is captived, and proves weak or untrue.
Yet dearly I love you, and would be loved fain,
But am betroth'd unto your enemy ;
Divorce me, untie, or break that knot again,
Take me to you, imprison me, for I,
Except you enthrall me, never shall be free,
Nor ever chaste, except you ravish me."

I think a meditation on this will be fruitful reflection on today's Liturgy which speaks of the utter need of God's grace to transform us so that we begin to think in God's ways and live in His Spirit. I have written similarly about the need to deny ourselves, take up our Cross, and follow Christ at this previous post, which may be of interest to you.

1 Comments:

Blogger ~pen~ said...

i had the pleasure of being the only lector scheduled for Mass last evening; i loved the responsorial psalm (as well as the other readings). it was exceptionally beautiful last night.

5:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home